Monday, February 23, 2009

Desert Botanical Garden: Chihuly

Having lived here for 7 months now, I have a newfound appreciation for the desert and all its unique plants. The heat, however, is a different story- and I'm so dreading its return in May. Aaaaaaaaahhhh!!!!! But I digress.

I went to the Desert Botanical Garden a few weeks back to get my fill of cacti, but what's so awesome about the place right now is that Dale Chihuly's glass artwork is displayed throughout the grounds. Chihuly's (I love his name!) work is at places like the Met & the Smithsonian (and he's even been showcased at the Louvre!). How lucky are we here in Phoenix to have his work enhance our desert garden?

Here's a few images of the spectacularness that is Chihuly:

From Desert Botanical Gardens



From Desert Botanical Gardens


From Desert Botanical Gardens


From Desert Botanical Gardens


My best friend from high school, Cristina & her husband Artin, were with us. We had an awesome 3 day weekend together (went to the Suns/Warriors game, played beer pong) and this was their last stop before they headed back to California.
From Desert Botanical Gardens


We all thought this sign was hilarious:
From Desert Botanical Gardens


From Desert Botanical Gardens


From Desert Botanical Gardens


Silly tree huggin' Californians. ;)
From Desert Botanical Gardens


From Desert Botanical Gardens


From Desert Botanical Gardens


From Desert Botanical Gardens


From Desert Botanical Gardens


From Desert Botanical Gardens


From Desert Botanical Gardens


From Desert Botanical Gardens

2 comments:

Shelly said...

Muy bonita!
I remember seeing that blue chandelier one (#3) @ San Jose's Museum of Art for years, and it was definitely one of my favorites to see every time I'd gone. :)

After seeing your photos, I'm not sure what I've come to appreciate more... the cacti or glass art?

Anonymous said...

What are those vivicaously colored things...real nature or glass work? They're gorgeous!

Contributors