Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Iguazu Falls!

Nature puts me in awe often, but Iguazu Falls is on another level of awe-dom. I have never seen waterfalls so expansive and powerful before in my life. Iguazu Falls consists of 275 waterfalls that span over 1 1/2 miles! It's at the border of Brazil and Argentina, and since we were in Argentina, we stayed on the Argentine side where you get closer to the falls, but you miss out on the panoramic views. One day, I'll go over to the Brazil side, but I was more than happy seeing & hearing massive amounts of water pounding away up close.

They did a great job building walkways that cross the river to the falls.
From Argentina


Our first peek at it!
From Argentina


Then bam -it's right in your face!
From Argentina


From Argentina

BTW, these are the falls that were in the latest Indiana Jones movie!

A video clip:


From Argentina


Drew, super happy to see the falls.
From Argentina


From Argentina


Drew, showing the world how much he loves me. (haha! I love having my own blog & being able to write what I want!!!)
From Argentina

From Argentina


Double rainbow!
From Argentina


The black specks are not from a dirty lens, but are actually either condors or vultures (as I overheard one tour guide saying).
From Argentina


From Argentina


The falls they call "Dos Hermanas" or "Two Sisters" for those of you who studied French in school.
From Argentina


From Argentina


We took a boat ride right up to the bottom of the falls and got completely soaked. I couldn't even look up at the falls because the two times I tried I got buckets of water dumped on my face and in my eyes!
From Argentina


After the falls, we went back to Puerto Iguazu, the town where most visitors to the falls stay at. I had to go to the hospital because, for some reason still unbeknownst to me, I had hives. It started before the trip, but got so bad I had to see a doctor.
From Argentina

It was interesting trying to communicate my problemas in espanol. There was a point when I was freaking out and reconsidering the treatment though because the first needle I saw was 3 inches long and pretty damn thick. But then they took out a smaller one and my chicken butt was ok. A while later, all I could say was, Hallelujah!!!! That night was the best I had had in days! (I love the English language with it's "had had's").

So when Drew & I travel, we like to do as the locals do. I always like to say, "When in Rome!" So we took their local bus.
From Argentina


And found out where the locals go for happy hour - out on this one street at the edge of their downtown. Here, they served beer and wine. We ordered Quilmes, the Argentine beer.
From Argentina


And what has come to be one of my favorite snack dishes: a plate of salami, olives, palm hearts, and cheese.
From Argentina


It was so good, we ate there 2 days in a row. Then I developed this weird craving for palm hearts throughout the whole trip.

One of my favorite things about Puerto Iguazu was their 7 way street intersections. How in the world do you give directions to people in this town?
From Argentina


Here's the market area where every vendor sells olives, salami, cheese, and palm hearts. =)
From Argentina


Our last night, we had lomo and coffee and watched an impromptu tango dance between two strangers just because there was a live band playing tango music.
From Argentina


And for anyone's who's interested: video footage of the couple dancing. =)



Next post: Bariloche!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG I wanna GO!!!! and that plate of salami and cheese and palm hearts.....looks YUMMY. Hope the hives go away soon.

Next time, don't be surprised if there's a stow away in your luggage. ;-)

Maki

Daisy Varley said...

Holy smokes! Those waterfalls are crazy beautiful! And Lynn, you are too funny. Love reading the captions under your images.

Contributors