Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Destination #1: Bryce Canyon

Have you ever been somewhere and thought to yourself, "Wow, this place is magical." Ok, maybe we all felt like that when we went to Disneyland as kids, but as adults, it seems a little harder to come by. (Though I admit I feel like that a lot of times when I'm in a place with green grass, tall trees, and a river running through. Throw in a butterfly and some flowers and it's over!) But I digress a bit. What I wanted to say was that the first time I set eyes upon the wonder that is Bryce Canyon, I was in awe. It's like a real-life fairyland. No wonder one of the spots is called Fairyland Canyon.
From 5-blog

Apparently, Bryce shouldn't be called a canyon since its features weren't carved out by river. Instead, these unique geologic formations are the work of rain and frost. Either way, they sometimes look unreal. (I know the photo below looks photoshopped, but it's real! I'm truly that tall.)
From 5-blog

From 5-blog

From 5-blog

From 5-blog

From 5-blog

From 5-blog

Here's Drew, leaning a little bit farther back than I would've liked him to...
From 5-blog

From 5-blog

The highlight of our stay in Bryce was not in the day, but at night when we could see a bazillion stars in the night sky. There is extremely little light pollution here, making it the most stars I have ever seen in my life! The night sky is so rich there that Bryce even has an Astronomy program for visitors. Unfortunately, the program wasn't running on the days we were there. Even so, this was the best stargazing either of us has ever done. =)
From 5-blog

1 comments:

Daisy Varley said...

WOW, Lynn! This place looks amazing! Love that last shot :)

Contributors