Follow by Email

Thursday, November 17, 2011

New York City, Hudson River, & Occupy Wall Street, oh my!

Ok, this blog post is about a month behind, but better late than never!

NYC, I truly love this city and it's been a new adventure every time I visit. This time though, since we spent most of our time in Vermont, we only had one full day in NYC, but it was quite an adventurous day. We rented bikes and started out in upper west side, rode south along the Hudson River, and ended up near the new World Trade Center construction site and Occupy Wallstreet.

If you're ever in NYC and the weather is beautiful, take this bike ride and see what an amazing job they've done with this side of the Hudson.

new york,hudson river,new york city

new york,hudson river,new york city

new york,hudson river,new york city

new york,hudson river,new york city

new york,hudson river,new york city

New playgrounds...
new york,hudson river,new york city

Miniature golf course on one of the piers.
new york,hudson river,new york city

Sand volleyball courts. Drew and I totally wanted to play but we had no ball, or other players to hit with for that matter.
new york,hudson river,new york city

Of all the times I've visited NY, this is the first time I've seen the Statue of Liberty. And it wasn't even up close! Still, I was pretty excited when I saw it.
new york,hudson river,new york city

new york,hudson river,new york city

new york,hudson river,new york city

Love this glass building.
new york,hudson river,new york city

Building the new WTC.
new york,hudson river,new york city

new york,hudson river,new york city

I love seeing a peep of the American flag hanging from the building.
new york,hudson river,new york city

new york,hudson river,new york city

I didn't know we were going to hit Zucotti Park and the Occupy Wallstreet protesters, but there we were.
new york,hudson river,new york city

The park was full of people, tarps, tents, etc.
Photobucket

I walked around the park a bit, and then stood up on a ledge to see if there was anything that showed observers what this protest was about.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Hemp for victory?
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I have to say, it was interesting to see history in action, but watching people hula hoop around and playing in drum circles with a donation box did not help me understand what the point of the protest was. Anyone care to share their views one way or another?

4 comments:

Chona said...

WOW! WOW! loved the artistry of these photos esp the architectural ones. i enjoyed the "street photography" a lot too- capturing folks' most candid actions and expressions; and some of the "symbols" behind this whole historical movement. thank you lynn for your perspective.

Nic said...

I am not exactly sure either... the Occupy PHX protest is literally right outside of my office. I have to walk through them every morning to get in. The other day one of them called me a prisoner... because I am going to work, I guess? Dunno... Most of them look like homeless people who are taking advantage of the opportunity to congregate with tents and stuff.

Daisy Varley said...

Yeah, I don't quite understand either. I heard that they're protesting that 1% of the population has most of the wealth and aren't sharing it with the rest of the 99%? I dunno...seems like a waste of time to me. So glad you had a great time in NYC though! :)

Mobile Phone said...

i like it Mobile Accessory